The Legacy of Louis Riel, by Dr. John Andrew Morrow, is now up for pre-order. Order your copy today from Baraka books by clicking here.
The Legacy of Louis Riel provides an overview of the ideas that guided the leader of the Métis people.
Louis Riel was a prolific writer. Based on a comprehensive review of Riel’s writing, the author examines his views on a variety of vital subjects, including:
- the definition of the term Métis
- matters of Métis identity
- the condition, characteristics, and future of the First Nations
- Jewish people and their need for statehood
- Islam, as an ally of liberalism and a threat to Christianity and Western civilization
- Quebec, as a nation state and protector of the Métis people
- French Canadians, as part of the Métis family
- the exceptionalism of the United States
- the place and role of women
- liberalism perceived as the most evil of ideologies
- the imperative need of Métis unity.
These relevant and timely topics, some of which have been sidelined or entirely ignored, are sure to spark debate in our current social context. In so doing, it is hoped that this study will increase our understanding of Louis Riel, his thought, and his writings, and help create greater cohesion among Métis communities throughout North America at a time when attempts are being made to divide them into Western and Eastern Métis to further weaken and dispossess them.
Most importantly, The Legacy of Louis Riel contributes to answering the critical question: “Why does Louis Riel matter?”